Sunday, December 21, 2014

Kotzebue - Week 2 (16)

Greetings to you all. I hope you are doing well as you read this post today.

Today December 21st, 2014 is the Winter Solstice or the Shortest day of the year based on "Daylight" not "Sunlight". Remember, there's a major difference especially here in the Arctic. (See Week 12)

As I looked at the Frozen Kotzebue Sound in this -3°F Cold, I couldn't help but think of the 19th Psalm and it's rather striking application to my current assignment. Why you ask? Let me share a few verses that stick out in my mind there.

In verse 1 we read a very familiar and poignant statement: "The heavens are declaring the glory of God; The skies above proclaim the work of his hands."

But today with the lack of Daylight I especially appreciated verse 4. There we see: "But into all the earth their sound has gone out, and to the ends of the inhabited earth their message."

But notice how that same verse concludes: "...In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun."

What I found so striking about that was Jehovah, by means of the Psalmist, usage of Symbolism. The Sun retiring to sleep, as it were in a "tent". Apparently the Sun is still in that "tent" around this time of the year. Shows us a humorous side of the God we worship.

Rather than feeling down about that fact, I thought it was a good opportunity for me to find a way to draw closer to Jehovah, because it Magnifies Him as the Supreme Creator and the Originator of the Solar and Lunar Cycle you and I have the privilege of witnessing with our own eyes.

Notice how that point is further driven home in verse 7: "The law of Jehovah is perfect, restoring strength. The reminder of Jehovah is trustworthy, making the inexperienced one wise."

You and I are "inexperienced". No matter what we may think in our imperfect minds we are truly from Jehovah's standpoint "inexperienced". But yet, so very lovingly we are given "The reminder of Jehovah" which proves to be add the verse says "trustworthy". We put our Faith in it and we are made wise as a result.

And Jehovah by means of this light shortened day has 'reminded' me that He is the Creator and the God of all eternity. Having this in my mind and heart, makes me want to continue to give my best in this assignment each and every day and put his interests 1st in my life, helping the Inupiat people to do the same.

To conclude, my prayer for each of you reading, are the words of verse number 14: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

With warm love from the Arctic Circle,

M. J. Penfield 

Alaska Fact of the Week: The name Alaska is based on the Eskimo word "Alakshak" meaning great lands or peninsula.

2 comments:

  1. Jared, your blog is so encouraging and a real pleasure to read. You and the other isolated special pioneers are in our thoughts and prayers often. Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your stories. You are far from home, far from any of the things that feel "normal" or "safe". But you are never too far to experience the words of Deuteronomy 28:2, where it says "all these blessings will come upon you and overtake you, because you keep listening to the voice of Jehovah your God." I'm sure you will continue to see his loving protection as you faithfully carry out your assignment. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us all. A sister just shared your blog with me because my 9 year old son has set a goal of "moving to Alaska - or Canada - to hand out Bibles and teach people about Jehovah" since seeing your assignment described at the Branch Meeting. If he doesn't get to go to Bethel, of course. He has even been "toughening himself up" (going outside without a jacket in 40*F) to better endure the cold.

    We are looking forward to reading more about your adventures and what life as a special missionary can be like. Please know we are including you, and your fellow missionaries, in our prayers regularly and your work and sacrifices are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete